- Water fresh trees daily – Keep the base of the trunk in water at all times and keep your tree away from any ignition sources.
- Check all sets of lights before decorating -Check the cords closely. Discard any sets that are frayed or damaged.
- Make sure you have working smoke alarms – Test your smoke alarms and replace them if they are over 10 years old.
- Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms – Replace any carbon monoxide alarms over seven years old.
- Make sure everyone knows how to get out safely if a fire occurs – Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with all members of the household.
- Use extension cords wisely – Make sure cords never go under rugs as this can cause damage to the cord and cause a fire.
- Give space heaters space – If you are using space heaters, remember to keep them at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
- When you go out, blow out! – Blow out candles before leaving or going to bed. Keep lit candles away from children, pets and anything that can burn.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of children – Matches and lighters can be deadly in the hands of children.
- Watch what you heat! – Always stay in the kitchen when cooking; especially if using oil or high temperatures.
- Encourage smokers to smoke outside – If you do allow smoking indoors use large, deep ashtrays that can’t be knocked over and make sure cigarette butts are properly extinguished.
- There’s more to responsible drinking than taking a cab home – Keep a close eye on anyone attempting to cook or smoke while under the influence.
For more information on fire safety and tips for over the holidays, visit the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs website.